Famed for it's vices, but the real Amsterdam is actually a stunning city that leaves you breathless (from it's beauty, and also the bike riding!). One of the best cities in Europe, it's an absolute must on any European itinerary.
Start your city playlist with: All Of The Stars by Ed Sheeran
Located in the absolute beating heart of Amsterdam, this utterly cool boutique hotel used to be the home of the Amsterdam mayor. Made up of 5 canal houses - the views and the craftmanship is beyond fabulous
Herengracht 225, 1016 BJ Amsterdam
Hotel V Fredriksplein
Purse-friendly and hipster styling. Great location and perfect for weekend stopovers
Weteringshans 136, 1017 XV, Amsterdam
A live/work space loft that is making a change to the world of hotels. Filled with stylish design and all the mod cons you will need, it is the perfect choice for someone who wants functionality alongside design, proving that not all business hotels need to be boring. Be warned though, it's a two-night minimum stay
Weesperstraat 105, 1018 VN, Amsterdam
Excellent location, impeccable design and they even bring you fresh bread in the morning.
* might be a little loud at night as in the middle of the action - but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em
Marnixstraat 397, 1017 PJ, Amsterdam
De Kas Restaurant
Restaurant located in a nursery where the food served is all grown on the surrounding land. Dining is in the glass greenhouse
Kammerlingh Onneslaan 3, 1097 DE, Amsterdam
Best for breakfasts. Eat on the sunny terrace in summer or cosy inside in the winter
Eerste van der Helststraat 62-A, 1072 NX, Amsterdam
Hidden and dark Belgian restaurant. Delicious steaks and over 100 different beers. Only a few tables so get here early
Raamstraat 29, 1016 NL, Amsterdam
In partnership with Soho House, this restaurant has superior charm in design, and the food is a mix of Italian x Dutch (which means Bitterballen is on the menu so fear not!)
Herengracht 225, 1016 BJ Amsterdam
A trip to Amsterdam wouldn’t be complete without them. Sweet and savoury are on the menu
Prinsengracht 191, 1015 DS, Amsterdam
That cute little lunch place that you won’t forget
Eerste van der Helststraat 27, 1073 AC, Amsterdam
Weber, Lux and Kamer 401
Three very cool bars right in the centre (but no tourists!) the benefits of this are cheaper drinks, mixing with the locals and actually very cool bars
Marnixstraat 403, 1017 PJ, Amsterdam
Looking like it's fresh off the set of Mad Men and in the super hip Jordaan area, this bar has raised the errr bar (pardon the pun) on what a good cocktail should be. They also have an afternoon tea menu, alcoholic of course
Vinkenstraat 57, 1013 JM, Amsterdam
Cafe de Pijp
An eetcafe with a 1970s feel, in a young and vibrant neighbourhood. Serving food and cocktails until late
Ferdinand Bolstraat 17-19, 1072 LA, Amsterdam
Restaurant where the food is plentiful and there are belly dancers… and foot massages at your table. An unusual experience, but for the adventurous
Rozengracht 133, 1016 LV, Amsterdam
- Hire Mac Bikes and ride around the city, parks and across bridges on your own bike, the Dutchs’ preferred mode of transport.
- The Vondel Park is the main park in the city that is filled with music, people hanging around the reservoir and a few dotted cafes. Go grab a drink (non-alcoholic… or something stronger!) at the Veritgo cafe which is just as you enter the park. In the summer there are also outdoor films. Also the Vondel Tuin is a BBQ hidden at the back where you can also hire rollerblades for around the park!
- Jump on a canal boat tour. The one opposite the Max Euweplein is the best location as you head straight into the small and gorgeous canals. Sunset is the best time for this as you get to see the beauty in daylight and then the lights turn on in the canals.
- Boom Chicago. This is where the stars are made. In the past it has been home to many of SNL’s cast and writers and is still a hotbed of the best comedians. Improvisational comedy at it’s very best.